WASTEWATER LIFT STATION STRUVITE REMOVAL
A midwestern wastewater facility was severely hindered by struvite blockage within one of its lift stations. The severity of struvite buildup had seized multiple valves and pump driveshafts throughout the system. Repeated hydro blasting attempts were unsatisfactory in that only a few feet of the system were freed of struvite deposits after three days of cleaning. Labor costs and downtime strained their budget and operators! The wastewater facility turned to RYDLYME for their lift station struvite removal needs.
Watch the video of RYDLYME lift station struvite removal here!
Their safe, simple solution came in as RYDLYME Biodegradable Descaler. A circulation loop was established and manipulated for each of the four pumps to be cleaned. Each of the four loops was cleaned for 2 hours. After which, the RYDLYME was flushed from the system along with the dissolved struvite! Operators were completely satisfied with the RYDLYME cleaning and the results have been shared with other facility personnel to schedule the next cleaning.
How to Remove Struvite from Wastewater Pipes
Apex highly recommends that, prior to cleaning, you contact us for technical assistance in determining the best dilution and method for removing your struvite scale deposits.
- Obtain struvite deposit for testing with RYDLYME to confirm adequate concentration to dissolve struvite (typically 50-100%). Note the severity of struvite build-up. Obtain the current water volume of the struvite infected system as well as the designed water volume.
- To set up a circulation, connect the circulating pump inlet to the vented container via a hose.
- Run another hose from the pump outlet to the lowest accessible point of the struvite-infected system.
- Run another hose from the highest accessible point of the struvite-infected system back to the vented circulating container.
- Add the prescribed amount of RYDLYME to the circulating container and turn on the pump to begin dissolving the struvite. Add water to the solution until a complete circuit is obtained.
- Continue circulation for 6-12 hours depending on struvite severity and volume of the system. Hourly monitor the RYDLYME solution to determine the endpoint. If RYDLYME is neutralized prior to the prescribed circulating duration, then more RYDLYME should be added in order to remove the remaining struvite. (See “Testing the Effectiveness of RYDLYME”)
- Upon completion of the struvite cleaning, rinse the system with clean water to remove any insoluble materials that may have been released from the struvite deposit.
- Return the system to service.