How to Remove Struvite using RYDLYME
Call for more information!
Reduced flow rates in waste water treatment plant pipes, pumps and lines is a common symptom of struvite build up. If this sounds like your waste water treatment plant, keep reading on how to remove struvite. RYDLYME biodegradable descaler is the solution – don’t let expensive pieces of equipment become unusable like the photo!
How to Remove Struvite with RYDLYME:
RYDLYME is extremely effective in struvite and vivianite removal from piping, pumps, transfer stations, screens and other affected equipment in wastewater treatment plants. The amount of RYDLYME required will be dependent on the severity of the struvite or vivianite accumulation and the volume of the system to be cleaned.
Typically, RYDLYME will be applied at 50-100% depending on the thickness of the struvite or vivianite deposits to be removed. The preferred method of application is to circulate the RYDLYME solution through the pipe or equipment, but it can also be effective when utilized in a static or fill and soak application. Please see this video for circulation and this video for static cleaning.
How to remove struvite using RYDLYME in the waste water industry procedure:
Apex highly recommends that, prior to cleaning, you contact us for technical assistance in determining the best dilution and method for removing your struvite or vivianite scale deposits.
- Obtain struvite or vivianite deposit for testing with RYDLYME to confirm adequate concentration to dissolve struvite (typically 50-100%). Note severity of struvite build up. Obtain the current water volume of the struvite infected system as well as the designed water volume.
- To setup a circulation, connect circulating pump inlet to vented container via hose.
- Run another hose from pump outlet to lowest accessible point of struvite or vivianite infected system.
- Run another hose from the highest accessible point of struvite or vivianite infected system back to the vented circulating container.
- Add prescribed amount of RYDLYME to circulating container and turn on pump to begin dissolving struvite or vivianite. Add water to the solution until a complete circuit is obtained.
- Continue circulation for 6-12 hours depending on struvite or vivianite severity and volume of system. Hourly monitor the RYDLYME solution to determine end point. If RYDLYME is neutralized prior to the prescribed circulating duration, then more RYDLYME should be added in order to remove remaining struvite. (See “Testing the Effectiveness of RYDLYME”)
- Upon completion of the struvite or vivianite cleaning, rinse the system with clean water to remove any insoluble materials that may have been released from the struvite deposit.
- Return the system to service.
How remove struvite using RYDLYME video
How to Remove Struvite or Vivanite using RYDLYME benefits:
- Dissolves 2.2 lbs of scale per gallon of RYDLYME
- NSF/ANSI 60 certified
- Non-hazardous, non-corrosive and safe for personnel
- Less expensive, more effective and safer than hydro-blasting
- Nearly 80 years of proven success, other ‘descalers’ have much less experience
RYDLYME dissolving struvite from pipe
How to remove struvite using RYDLYME Case Studies
A pharmaceutical developer’s wastewater system was experiencing flow issues caused by the collection of struvite scale deposits. Flow was restricted from 300 gpm to 60 gpm. Only 20% of design!